Saturday, December 09, 2006

Why can't men sing?

Or a better title might by "Why don't men sing?

This seems to be a hard question to answer. There are very few references on the web to either phrase. The only references I could find were to my article of February 2005 and a discussion in England in 2004.

Besides all the other reasons like not a guy thing, changing voices, and lack of encouragement of those who don't do well, I've been pondering another aspect - matching resonance. Men may have a difficult time singing because they have more resonance in their voices than women. When they try to match the resonance of the dominant singers, they tend to try to sing too high and thus are way off pitch.

I tried an experiment with a song I'm trying to learn. I put the melody in my computer using the treble clef. Singing the melody was a big strain. I dropped the melody an octave and did much better. Once I had a feel for the melody, I went back to the higher octave accompaniment. I did much better. Even my severest critic, my experienced soprano wife, said so.