Friday, February 16, 2007

Governors shouldn't be teachers

Gov. Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota wants to give an extra two percent of support to "performing" schools. It's a good thing he's not a teacher. Teachers generally give more help to those who aren't performing well. Can you imagine the ruckus if a teacher gave more time to those students who perform well and less to those who don't?

Granted, it is difficult to give help to a disruptive student in a classroom. Special resources are needed to help these students, not less.

As a ski instructor, I have to stop to help those who fell and I have to wait for those who are slower. Should I leave those who fell or can't keep up behind? Should I spend my time giving more challenges to those who ski well? This is effectively what the reward/punishment system of "No Child Left Behind" does.

See my Reader Weekly article, "No Skier Left Behind".