Monday, June 09, 2008

Is every earned dollar hard-earned?

I think politicians over-use the terms "hard-working families" and "hard-earned dollars"; this usage is more demagoguery than descriptive.

Sure, there are many workers who have boring, sweaty jobs or who have to spend much of their time with abusive bosses or customers or who have dangerous jobs.

But there are other workers who spend at least some of their time enjoying the outdoors, gazing out the window, having coffee and donuts in a meeting, or standing around the water cooler chatting with co-workers.

Personally, I've had jobs that run the gamut from making me bone-weary to making me eager to come in to do extra work. I've stood at a cash register with lines going half-way down the aisle. I've loaded 100-pound bags of potatoes on a truck. I've had customers and bosses yell at me. I've stood around chatting or even playing games on the clock. I've been sent out of town when I'd rather be at home. I've been paid to take very interesting trips. I've had days when I couldn't wait until five o'clock arrived. I've had days when I was so involved I forgot about eating. I've had days when I was paid just for showing up. I've had days when I was expected to work around the clock.

So, when politicians talk about hard-working people, are they talking about coal-miners deep underground or are they talking about somebody sitting in air-conditioned comfort listening to the radio? Are they talking about the rushed chicken processors wondering when they're going to slip with the knife or the front office clerk playing solitaire on the computer?