Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How to win in politics

"Winning is the important thing. Giving speeches is not a matter for average minds, but rather a matter for practitioners. They are not supposed to be lovely or theoretically correct. I do not care if I give wonderful, aesthetically elegant speeches, or speak so that women cry. The point of a political speech is to persuade people of what we think right. I speak differently in the states than I do in Washington, and when I speak in Chicago, I say different things than I say in the party caucus. That is a matter of practice, not of theory. We do not want to be a movement of a few straw brains, but rather a movement that can conquer the broad masses. Speeches should be popular, not intellectually pleasing. It is not the task of speeches to discover intellectual truths."

Does that seem to you how our politicians come across?  Think of all the catch phrases that have been thrown out to catch votes - Obamacare, government off our backs, tax the rich, live within its means, working families, and on and on.  "They" all do it.  They don't want the truth, intellectual or otherwise, they want our votes.

Now guess who said something very close to the above quote.

Dr. Joseph Goebbels, the minister of propaganda of the Nazi government of Germany.  For the translated original speech, see http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Joseph_Goebbels.