Saturday, June 25, 2011

Read labels carefully

A couple of weeks ago I went along one of our paths in Brimson with a string trimmer.  When it ran out of gas, I went back to get the gas can.  I refilled the trimmer and it wouldn't start.  Gosh, a friend had just fixed it a year ago and had it running great.

Eventually I got it started but it would only keep running when I could grab the throttle quickly enough.  For many tries, I just wasn't soon enough.  Then I did grab the throttle quickly enough, but I couldn't hold the throttle and get the trimmer back on the harness.  Again and again, the fool pushed on.  I gave up trying to get it in the harness and just rested it on my hip.

I was really cutting grass now.  Then the trimmer ran slower and slower and started smoking.  I stopped it and headed back to the cabin.  Then I looked at the gas can I had taken.  It was regular gas and not gas-oil mix!!

The can for the mix does still have a clear 50 on it for 50-1 mix.  Read labels, dummy!

I emptied the tank and refilled it with the mix.  After many, many pulls, the trimmer ran as it should.

The old saying "If all else fails, read the directions" still holds.