Monday, June 22, 2015

Who does “snail mail”?

For almost three decades it has been “cool” to refer to postal mail as snail mail.  I’ve always thought that this was unfair, because in most cases the U.S. Postal Service was getting mail in 1-3 days between any two points in the United States and less than a week to foreign countries.

Today I had a case where “snail mail” beat email.  I ordered some merchandise last Thursday.  It was shipped Friday.  I received it about nine this morning.  I received an email after three this afternoon with the tracking number.  The message was sent by a “fourth party” on the request of the shipper.

Even the supposed “instantaneous” email is not so swift.  I often receive a notice of sent email five or even fifteen minutes after it was sent.

But the worst case is an auto dealer that sends needed service notices after I have the service done.  Almost two weeks ago I took my car in for an oil change.  After noon today I received an email that I was due for an oil change!  Come on!  I didn’t drive 3,000 miles in two weeks.  What’s this about corporate efficiency over government inefficiency?