Saturday, August 11, 2007

Open software: follow-up

Every so often I solve a nagging problem by a slightly different approach. I wrote in "Open Software - You get what you pay for" of my difficulties of finding a replacement for Netscape Composer 7. The file I downloaded was corrupted, and I found it difficult to wade through all the help options.

A few days later, I thought to do a search on the name of the downloaded file. Within the first ten hits was a question just like mine. The questioner received several answers, mostly variations telling her that the product in question was no longer supported and had been replaced by Sea Monkey, all-in-one internet application suite. It is available for Windows, Linux GTK2, Mac OS X, and other systems.

The annoying problem that I had a few days ago no longer exists and I can update my web site pages much faster.