Thursday, January 01, 2009

Getting rich by nibbling

Today I received an email that my Verizon Wireless online bill was ready. Before I paid it, I checked the details. There was a whopping 60 cents for text messages I never asked for from 8877 in early December. I think they were some notices from Verizon. That's like sending you a letter about something the company wants you to know but leaving the stamp off and having the recipient pay the postage due. At least the post office now returns unstamped mail.

I tried to follow the pages to block text messaging, but I got a server error. That means I have to try this again tomorrow, and maybe the day after, and the day after that, and... until I give up.

Meanwhile, 20 cents times a hundred is 20 dollars, times a thousand is 200, times a million is 200,000 dollars for doing nothing of benefit to the customers.