Saturday, January 03, 2009

Can you believe a market prediction if the predictor can't write properly

U.S. Global Investors, a mutual fund company, had this under "Opportunity" in its latest weekly newsletter:

Governmental efforts to inject capital into the nation’s financial system could, in time, help to restore more normal lending conditions.

This is somewhat surprising in that U.S. Global Investors generally has a conservative slant. It looks like some conservatives think government can do some good besides fight wars in far off places.

On the other hand, this is the company that sent out New Year's greetings in many languages and, according to my son, had two errors in the Japanese greeting. I shouldn't complain too much, I switched two letters when I typed it in Japanese, which meant that two characters were absolutely wrong.

I meant to type

Akimashite Omedetto Gozaimasu

but I typed

Akimashite Omedetto Goazimasu

which gave

あきましておめでっとごあじます

My son said he, his wife, and her family had a good laugh over it. He wrote me that it should be

Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu

which should be

あけましておめでとうございます

Now you are probably think I'm smart in Japanese. Well, I'm not. I may know a few hundred words, but I never had strong enough incentive to study it well. What is smart is my computer, a Mac. I just pull down from the menu a languare and type away. In the case of Japanese I type the Roman characters and the computer automagically converts them into Japanese characters.