Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Duluth has become more international

I find it amusing that so many small cities call their airports International, as in Duluth International Airport.  Unfortunately, there are few, if any, flights from some "International" airports to cities in other countries.

For example, to fly from Duluth MN to Winnipeg, Manitoba, one has to go first to Minneapolis-St. Paul or Chicago.  Today's flights from Duluth International Airport are to Minneapolis, Detroit, Chicago, and Orlando.  It could be that freight or private planes fly in and out of Duluth directly to Canada, Asia, or Europe.

Another "requirement" for an "International" airport is currency exchange.  I've never seen any currency exchange at the Duluth airport.

Even currency exchange anywhere in Duluth has been difficult.  A local bank had to get the money from a correspondent bank.  On the other hand, I could go into a bank in a small town in Ontario and exchange U.S. travelers cheques for Canadian dollars.  Today I told a teller that I had taken my nasty pills and asked if she could give me Canadian money.  She replied, "Yes."

She couldn't give me the exact equivalent because she didn't have small change, but that is to be expected almost anywhere.  So, I asked for Canadian dollars in an even amount, and she was able to give me change in U.S. money.

On top of that, I can bring back any left over Canadian money and exchange it for U.S. dollars.  Except for small change, like everywhere else.

Will yen and euros be far behind?