Sunday, May 06, 2012

Who's to blame for "failing schools"?

Several weeks ago, Robin Washington, editor of the Duluth News Tribune, emailed me that he was helping on the Duluth Budgeteer and that they needed some letters.  He wrote that it should be about something in the Budgeteer.

I looked at the Budgeteer again and didn't see anything that I could write about.  I thanked Robin and wrote that I didn't have anything in mind.  Of course, later I did.  Bill Gronseth, Superintendent of the Duluth Public Schools had written a column, and I came up with the letter below.

However, somebody else did write a letter that was published.  This week I emailed Robin that if my letter had not been published this weekend, I would post it here, which precludes it being published in the Budgeteer according to its rules about prior publication.

My submission was:

A Duluth school superintendent and board decide that a major investment should be made in school buildings.  The decision is contentious with much opposition to its scope and funding.  A private company makes a nice profit from the project.

Some of the money for the project has to come from the classroom costs.

The Minnesota Legislature decides that it can't pay all the local school aid that has been scheduled.  Now there is even less money for classroom costs.

Many of those who show up to vote on a school funding referendum turn down any increase.  The additional property taxes would have made up some of the costs.

Now the Duluth Public Schools have to figure out how to provide some instruction with the funds they do have for operation.  To do so, they are increasing class sizes, lengthening class periods, and cutting out music and art which have a proven record in helping boosting learning skills.

The net result will be that fewer students will do as well in school.

Who's to blame?  The teachers, of course!