Monday, July 09, 2012

Links to lynx




Saturday we added another critter to our sightings at our cabin in Brimson.

I was cleaning my teeth after dinner and I thought I saw a hunting dog going past our cabin.  I was trying to decide whether to shoo it back home or lead it back when it turned at looked at the cabin.  It was not a dog but a large cat, about 18 inches at the shoulder.

I tried to take a picture of it through the window, but my camera focused on the screen rather than our visitor.  In my haste to take a picture, I only saw its face, that it was tawny, and about the size of a dog.  My wife saw tufted ears, a short tail, and black feet.

I went outside to try to get a better picture, but before I could even point the camera, it had trotted into the trees.  So, this is my only memory of the bobcat:



In years past I've seen a bear, a fox, and many deer in our cabin yard.  My wife saw a wolf once and we used to have some moose tracks.  A few years ago, the Brimson Sisu logo was a lynx, and someone gave a presentation at the Sisu that they were coming back into the area.  I thought I had seen lynx tracks in the snow this past winter, but closer examination of my photo showed they were wolf tracks.

I emailed a Forestry Service biologist the track picture and he confirmed it was wolf.  I again emailed him about our sighting (without the bad picture).  He replied that "It would be great if they start hanging out there again."  He also sent me a link to a Natural Resources Research Institute site on lynx.

Click on the links in "Sights and sounds of Lynx" for a couple cool videos.  The lynx we saw resembles L28.