Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Unattributed quotes

One of the drawbacks of the web is that writings can be spread without any attribution to the original author.  As a writer myself and as a former programmer, I am very sensitive to people copying my work or ideas without renumeration or attribution.

One of my relatives on Facebook linked to a beautiful poem that began

at the end of life
what matters is not what we bought

but the item did not mention the author.  I did a search for these phrases, but almost every site that had a portion of the poem did not give the author's name.  I finally found the complete poem at http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/for-2009-to-all-poets/ with attribution.  The author is Ric S. Bastasa, a judge in the Phillipines.

His list of poems at http://www.poemhunter.com/ric-s-bastasa/poems/ has titles in Greek, Russian, Arabic (or is it Farsi), Chinese, and Japanese.  Can one guy write poems in so many languages?  In this case, no.  Only the title are in other languages, the poems are in English.  He probably did as I do with foreign languages, he looked up keywords on Google Translate.