Thursday, May 26, 2016

We get letters!

If you have a letter published in a newspaper, you may get letters in the mail.  They can be of three kinds:
Supporting you
Disagreeing politely
Disagreeing anonymously
I rarely get a letter or email supporting a letter that I wrote, but I do get personal comments.  I also get many comments about my columns in the Reader Weekly.  Unfortunately, few seem to notice that I stopped writing for the Reader when I got bumped one too many times.

I received a polite disagreement when I had a letter published questioning the assertion that “the People” have spoken by showing up at meetings.  See

The few don’t represent ‘the people’
http://magree.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-few-dont-represent-people.html

The letter writer included his name and address on the envelope.  Unfortunately, he only reasserted what I had objected to in my letter to the editor.  He claimed that all have the opportunity to write letters or show up at meetings.  I didn’t respond that many people don’t feel strongly enough one way or another to write or show up.  Besides, all "the people" wouldn’t fit in a hearing room.

Every month or so I get one of the third type.  I think it may be the same person but I’m not sure.  The outside is covered with various diatribes using various sizes of pens and colors of ink.  I just throw these away without even opening them.  One of the latest was ironic: in all caps it had “SHE’S SCREECHY PREACHY” meaning Hillary Clinton.  Isn’t this anonymous letter writer being “SCREECHY PREACHY”?