Monday, July 02, 2007

Protecting the patient or protecting the doctor?

The cost in "An unnecessary health care cost" was piddling compared to a CYA cost that will be sent to Medicare and Blue Cross on my behalf - $1576 for an echocardiogram and stress test that I saw no need for.

Every so often a doctor hears a noise in my chest that he or she doesn’t like. Years ago a family doctor prescribed an echocardiogram and nothing abnormal was found. About ten years ago I was hospitalized overnight for a "heart attack" that was really strained chest muscles from throwing small logs. Two years ago my current physician didn’t like a whooshing; last year he said I had the “heart of an athlete”; this year he prescribed the echocardiogram and stress test.

My non-running legs got tired before my heart rate got to a level the technicians wanted; additionally, they had me on the stress test longer than most people my age.

I think this was the last time I will walk from downtown to the clinic and up the 68 steps to the doctor’s office for an annual physical. Next time, I’ll sit and meditate 20 minutes before my appointment and do my best to hold my breath completely as he listens.