Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Responsive Bureaucrat

I have long been bothered by those who think "responsive bureacrat" is an oxymoron. In my experience, government employees, especially in Minnesota, take the title "civil servant" seriously.

I recently got tired of shrubbery blocking the sidewalk at a particular address and called a city hotline about it. The shrubbery was cut back within a day, not the week or two I had expected.

In appreciation, I sent the follow email to the Director of Public Works with copies to the Mayor of Duluth and a couple of city councilors. Both the Director and the Mayor responded with thank you emails.
Good Afternoon,

I have long been bothered by all the properties where sidewalks aren’t shoveled in the winter and trees and shrubs are allowed to block the sidewalk all year round. I’ve been reluctant to be a “tattle-tale” but one hedge really bothered me.

Over a month ago, I asked a resident at that address to clip it back. He, who probably only drove up to the rear entrance, came around the front and was amazed at how far over the sidewalk it went. He said he would call the property management company. About two weeks later I saw a crew mowing the lawn and hoped that the hedge would be cut back. The next day it was still untouched.

Yesterday I called the Sidewalk Snow Removal Hotline and left a message about this property. I hoped the city would prompt the owner to cut the hedge back in a week or two. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the hedge was cut back this morning. It could be cut back further yet but at least fewer people will be walking in the path worn in the boulevard.

One down, hundreds to go.

Thanks to Tom Kasper and anyone else involved in this little improvement in the walkability of Duluth.