Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Are Detroit vehicles worse than the competition?

Much is being written about the pay of Detroit auto employees and the quality of the cars they make. The pay is somewhat distorted because it seems to include paying for current retirees. The quality of cars may vary. See "$73 and hour, adding it up", David Leonhardt, New York Times, 2008-12-09.

We have a 1997 Ford F-150 (standard cab) and a 2002 Toyota Prius.

The truck has only let me down once in the sense I couldn't use it right at the moment. It had a flat tire on the way to work.

Both cars have had warning lights come on, almost about the same number. However, the Prius seems to do this at the start of big trips. We have been lucky in that if we didn't get immediate service, we at least got assurance that we could continue our trip.

Because I drive the truck more often on dirt roads and don't wash it as often as I should, I had major hidden rust damage. I did get the damage repaired. Even this year I've had people ask if the truck is new.

I'd say it is a wash on quality.