Saturday, July 25, 2009

This chair is now seated

For the beginning of this story, see "This chair is not seated".

I sent an email to the distributor of the chair and received a prompt reply. She said she would send a replacement part as soon as I sent my postal address and my telephone number. I expected I would get the part in two days; the distributor, Home Casual, is located in Shakopee MN, an exurb of the Twin Cities.

Well, I blew it. I forgot to include my phone number. It wasn't until late afternoon that I sent that to Home Casual.

However, the part arrived in this morning's mail.

I pounded and pounded to get the old bushing out and had to use a piece of dowel to get it out. Actually, the dowel was supposed to be a Japanese drumstick for Taiko. I don't think I damaged it more than it has been from use as intended. Then I pounded and pounded to get the new bushing in. As it went in, the shaft shaved bits of plastic off the ribs of the bushing. After several minutes I had the bushing in as far as I had patience for, about a 1/8 inch gap.

OK, here we go. Put the base on the chair. My first push gets it about a third the way on. Twist. It goes farther than with the original bushing. Twist, rock, twist, rock, and bit by bit it goes farther. Yay! The two parts are together.

I pull off the last of the bubble wrap and put the cushion on. I call the queen to try her new throne and take her picture.

Murphy strikes again! The camera battery is depleted. Run upstairs to get a charged battery. Put it in camera. Come downstairs and take the queen's picture. Her majesty is very pleased with her new throne.