Monday, January 30, 2012

Buying tires – a moral dilemma?

For background on this dilemma, see "Gang aft agley in the North Woods".

The advice Kevin gave on tires was to buy tires from Sam's Club or Cooper AT3 tires from Duluth Tire. The AT3s have a more aggressive tread than the Michelins that I had. Since I try to buy local I called Duluth Tire. Duluth Tire told me that the AT3s in the size I wanted were on back order.

I called back a week later and a week later and … Somewhere along the line I was told that there was a strike. I sent an email to customer service at Cooper and was told that they were working through a big backlog. A search of the web gave me the info that actually Cooper had locked out its union employees at its Findlay, Ohio plant. Oh boy, do I buy the Coopers produced by substitute workers or do I buy other tires probably not made in America. Do I buy tires made in my home state and in a town I worked in one summer? Or from somewhere else?

On one of my trips through the part of Duluth where Duluth Tire is located, I drove by. Oh, they also sell Firestone and Bridgestone. OK, I'll stop in soon just to see what choices I have.

I did so last Friday afternoon when it was snowing. Surprise! They had received eight AT3s that morning. I'll take four! We are busy; can you come back Monday? Well, OK. Oh, a bay just opened up, we can do it now. Super!

Less than an hour later, the tires were on and the spare back underneath. I wrote the check for a few dollars less than I had expected. I got in my SUV, turned on the ignition, and saw the low tire light was on. I went back in and was told the computer would reset itself once I started driving. Sure enough, it went off before I left the parking lot.

The cost of the tires may seem like a lot, but the safety I bought is priceless. These tires stop easily on packed snow. One of my tests was to go up a steep hill with a stop sign at the top. I went up slowly without a slip. I timed it so that the vehicle in front of me was out of the intersection when I got to the top. I'm not sure if I stopped or rolled slowly into the cross street. However I did it, there was nary a spin.

The next day we drove to the cabin on packed snow, 40-50 mph depending on the curves. The tires held beautifully. I should have replaced the skidders long ago.