Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Corporate customer service efficiency?

Why do large corporations continue to disprove the myth of the efficiency of the free market?

Last week I sent feedback to Frontier.com because their login box was below the visible part of the opening page. I got back the usual long-winded, formulaic message of "glad to help me" and detailed instructions on how to log in. Doesn't customer service read the messages? If I said that I found the hidden login box, shouldn't they assume I logged in and thank me for my suggestion? I'm almost ready to give up on sending comments to large corporations. I've had far better luck with companies with one or a handful of employees.

Today I found another seemingly badly designed web site. I'm ready to make a Required Minimum Distribution from my Vanguard IRA. I would like to transfer the RMD into my regular Vanguard account. No can do!! If I try to sell from one IRA fund, it will only let me buy into another of my IRA funds, have a check sent, or have a deposit into my checking account.

If I go to the RMD preference page, it let's me check for two different automatic withdrawals or making a withdrawal by other means. See above for the only other means. Don't they want me to keep my money in Vanguard funds?

Maybe the web site is not ready to accept non-automatic RMD transactions for this year. I was able to do it for the past two years. I'll try again in a week or two.

Market economies over time will be more flexible than other economic systems, but those who "worship" market economies should have the humility to admit that market economies can be inefficient and bureaucratic too. After all, like all economies, they are run by people who make misteaks.