Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Is the Un-Fair Campaign Unfair?

An advertising campaign has started in Duluth to call attention to racism. One of its major slogans is "It's hard to see racism when you're white." A backlash has come about that has surprised the supporters of this initiative. A backlash is to be expected from a certain segment of the population that is truly racist (or anti anything or anybody different from themselves).

The other more reasoned backlash is that made by Phil Pierson who is quoted in the Duluth News Tribune: "The issue of racism is real, but it doesn't only pertain to whites. A campaign directed only to white people is by definition racist." See "Backlash slams 'Un-Fair' anti-racism campaign in Twin Ports", Duluth News Tribune, 2012-01-31. I can't find the Facebook page he and others apparently started.

I've long resented those who talk of "white privilege". If I'm so privileged, how did Herman Cain and Oprah Winfrey become so much better known than I am and far wealthier than I'll ever be?

I also resent people categorizing me by my skin color; that is also racist.

Just like too many people assume that because someone is black, Asian, Indian, whatever, they have such and such characteristics, it is unfair to assume that because someone is white they are "privileged". People have a wide range of characteristics that defy stereotypes.

What goes through my mind on "white privilege" is that those stating this don't know me. They don't know who I consider a relative and who considers me a relative. They don't know who I have befriended and who has befriended me. They don't know who I've regularly had meals with. They don't know who I've helped and who has helped me. They don't know who I've proven wrong and who has proven me wrong. They don't know who has looked up to me and who I've looked up to.

See also "Extremism continues on the Unfair campaign".