Monday, March 12, 2012

If you cant spel, dont right!

Actually, even if you can spell, check what you wrote.  Your spell checker may have changed a word that you really meant to write.  It took me three tries to get the title as incorrect as I intended it to be.

For the last several years, John Lescroart has brought out a new Dismas Hardy novel in January.  They are so popular that I gave up trying to get them at the Duluth Public Library.  Instead, I would buy a copy at my favorite book store and then donate it to the library when I finished.

Unfortunately, my favorite book store (Northern Lights Books) has closed, and I have not found its equal yet.  So, I didn't order the latest John Lescroart novel earlier this year.  Today I finally got around to checking the library catalog and didn't see anything new from Lescroart.

I went to his website and saw only a comment about another novel concerning one of his usual characters.  Then I clicked on his books heading.  The top book was "The Hunter" and its page was subtitled "Due out January, 2012".

I went back to the library catalog and looked up "The Hunter".  Hoo boy!  Over 800 hits.  I limited the search to 2012 publication, and Bingo!  The bad news is that all eight copies are out.  I bet the reserve list for each is quite long.  I could read it in large print if I wanted.

What does all this have to do with the title of this entry?  On Lescroart's main page he has a little snippet "Fumblerules of Grammar" and gave five examples.  He also gave a link to a much longer list that was created by William Safire in 1979.  Click here for the complete list of Fumblerules.