Saturday, March 10, 2012

Republicans and reality; the only thing they have in common is starting with RE

As a former Republican party activist, I am so disappointed with the Republicans since Reagan (another name starting with RE).  The latest disappointment was the attitude of Minnesota Republican legislatures towards light rail, specifically the Southwest line out of Minneapolis.  See "Critics rail about state money for Southwest light rail line", Pat Dole, Star Tribune, 2012-03-09.

Despite many businesses saying that light rail aids development, the state Republicans are still opposed to the light rail line.  Hey, I thought Republicans were pro-business.  I think they are more pro-Koch and pro-oil than anything else.

The most egregious comment was by Kurt Zellers, R-Maple Grove, "We like our independence and having our own car to drive where we want and when we want."  He also said. " I think buses…are working very, very well."  Excuse me, is anyone telling him that he can't drive?  Oh, yes!  The Republican Party is not "pro-choice".

He is so wrong on two counts.

Once I drove out of Chicago on I-90 towards O'Hare airport.  It was on a Sunday(!) and stop-and-go.  In the middle was a commuter train.  The highway traffic would stop, and a train would catch up.  The highway traffic would stop, and a train would catch up.  The highway traffic would stop, and a train would catch up.  Eventually the train pulled ahead and was gone.  So much for "when we want".

As for the efficiency of buses, for two years I drove a suburban bus into the Twin Cities from Maple Grove!!!!  Rare were the times it was a steady 55 mph from Maple Grove to downtown Minneapolis.  Sometimes I had to drive on the shoulder.  What was my supposed maximum speed?  35mph!  What does light rail go?  I don't know, but probably better than 35 mph between stations.  And the light rail drivers generally have all the green lights in their favor.  I had to slow down for merging traffic.