Friday, November 16, 2012

Don't answer the phone

I gave this advice before the election, and it still holds true.  See "I still don't believe the polls".
http://magree.blogspot.com/2012/11/i-still-dont-believe-polls.html

Wednesday our phone rang three times.  I did not answer as it was ringing.  I waited for the caller to leave a message.  The first two times no message was left.  The third time it was somebody I wanted to speak with, I picked up the phone and apologized, explaining why.

So far today, we've had two calls, one without a message, and one with a message about our credit and the stimulus package.

We've long made it a practice not to answer the phone during meals.  Most callers leave no message, a few a message we're not interested in, and once in a very long while someone calls that we want to talk to.  We've now made it a practice not to answer until we know who is calling.

The old radio advice still holds: "Don't touch that dial."