Thursday, January 03, 2013

Unsafe safety features

Sometimes in the name of safety, designers can create unsafe conditions.

I was reminded of this again in dealing with one of my pet peeves, gas cans that are not easy to use. 

I've written about this issue before in "Misguided safety measures" and "Tired of pouring gas on your shoes?"

I thought that I had found a better solution with No-Spill gas cans from Denny's Lawn and Garden.  Instead of a stopper within the cap, they had a push-button to control the flow out the spout.

In general, the No-Spill cans work as advertised.  Apparently earlier models still dripped through the seal between the spout and the can.  I don't recall having that problem.

However, like all the "safety" cans, they can be very frustrating when filling them.

First, it is a real pain to get the spout off, especially in cold weather while wearing gloves.  The ratchet lock is very difficult to release and can take both thumbs to release.  Last weekend I used a tack puller to get enough leverage to push the lock in.

Second, once the can is full, it takes many efforts to get the spout back on.  It goes on crooked more easily than it goes on straight.  I find this disconcerting and curious.  The threads are rather coarse and one would think the spout should go on with the first attempt.

Frustrations like this lead to carelessness.  Carelessness can lead to improper use.  Improper use can lead to unsafe conditions, creating conditions that "safety" designs were supposed to eliminate.

I still haven't found a gas can design that is better than the 5-liter steel "Jerry can" I bought in Sweden over thirty years ago.  I only stopped using it because I couldn't replace the cork seal.  I still have it in a shed at our cabin.  I can't remember all the details of the design, but the spout was held on with a lever that locked on each side.  Pull up and you could take the spout off.  Push down and you locked the spout in place.