Thursday, August 01, 2013

Serendipity leads to weight loss

We put a number of Meryl Streep DVDs on our Netflix queue and have enjoyed most of them.  One of these was "First Do No Harm" about the frustrations of a mother with an epileptic child.  After so many chemicals were injected into him with adverse effects and no sign of benefit, through much research she found that the ketogenic diet was promoted at Johns Hopkins.  According to the film, a composite of severals true stories, the diet completely eliminated his seizures.  For more details see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...First_Do_No_Harm.

I think, but am not sure, when we selected "First Do No Harm", Netflix recommended "Forks over Knives", a documentary on a plant-based diet, and I added it to my queue.  We saw it a few weeks ago, borrowed the book from the library as well as a companion book, "The Engine 2 Diet".  You can find out more at http://www.forksoverknives.com.  What I liked best in the DVD was the animation of plaque dissolving off the arteries.  Since I'm seeing a cardiologist once a year because I have an aortic restriction, I'd love to have the plaque dissolve and for my cholesterol to drop.

Based on the documentary and what we read in the two books, we decided to give the plant-based diet a try. We've cut out dairy and eggs and have all but eliminated meat.  We still have some salmon in the freezer.

I've lost a three or so pounds and the "pinch" has gone from an inch to 3/4 inch.  I also may have to buy a new belt; I'm on the last hole and have a long tail of belt sticking out.

The rash on my arms that I have attributed to balsam fir at our cabin has almost completely gone.  That probably was mostly because I stopped wearing an old work shirt that was 50% polyester.  I'll take either explanation.

The Forks Over Knives website has an irony for me.  The T-shirt they offer is 90% polyester!!

Most of the recipes, which call for a large variety of fruits and vegetables have been tasty and filling.  But we had two disappointments today. Black-bean based brownies were mushy instead of firm and a polenta pizza was mushy instead of crisp.  My wife, an artist in the kitchen, will experiment for improvements, but she may switch to other recipes in the other book.

As I talk about "Forks Over Knives" with others, I'm hearing anecdotes that others have been pleased with the results.  The most dramatic was a report of a man who lost 80 pounds!