Wednesday, February 12, 2014

To get good service, be persistent

Last week the return key on my Logitech Solar Keyboard Folio stopped working.  Other characters showed up on my iPad screen, but clicking the return key did nothing.  I did a Google search and a search of the Logitech site, both general and community.  I found nothing.

Yesterday I emailed Logitech customer support and quickly received a reply.  Dan suggested that I connect my keyboard to another iPad.

I replied that it would be some time before I saw another iPad user who let me borrow his or her iPad.  I also suggested that the problem might have started when I upgraded my iPad to iOS 7.0.4.

Then he replied with the suggestion of following these steps:

Okay Melvyn, try the following below:

1. Turn off all other devices besides the Bluetooth keyboard
2. Make sure the keyboard is charged
3. Turn the keyboard off and then back on
4. On your iPad/iPad mini, turn Bluetooth off and on
5. Turn your iPad/iPad mini off and then back on
6. Un-pair and then re-pair the keyboard with the iPad/iPad mini’s Bluetooth function
7. Reset Network settings (go to Settings > General > Reset , Tap Reset Network Settings)
8. Reset All setting: (go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset all settings)

It was late and I wanted to go to bed.  But I didn’t want to try to sleep with this suggestion rattling around in my brain.  I gave it a go with “fear and trepidation”; what would I lose?

After step 8, the iPad rebooted itself and everything seemed to work OK.

Thanks, Dan!

The only difference that I noticed was that I lost my “wallpaper”.  To tell the truth, I don’t remember what I had before.  Nothing in the wallpaper list seemed familiar.

The bad part is that this fix is not on Logitech’s website, at least it is not linked to “Logitech Solar Keyboard Folio isn’t working”.

I hope this post finds its way to others who have had a similar problem.