Thursday, March 27, 2014

Corporations - the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing

For at least three months, Apple has included Numbers and Pages (spreadsheet and document programs) in its free list of Apps in the App store.  However, if one scrolls over the name of the App, “$19.99” appears.  Has Apple decided that “free” means under $20?  Several people have made remarks about this in the review sections for these apps.  Is anybody in Apple reading these reviews?

The New York Times had a review of “Quip”, a document writing program for the Mac, iPad, and iTunes.  If I search for “Quip” in the App Store, I can’t find it.  If I search from iTunes, I find it.  The iTunes page that shows Quip has a header “App Store > Productivity > Quip”.  Looking through “All Productivity Apps” in the App Store, I do not find Quip among the Qs.

If Apple or any other large corporation cannot be bothered with fixing these little but obvious glitches, can we be sure that they will fix big glitches that cost us (and even other large corporations) hours of frustration?

Quip is nowhere near a complete document program, but it is good for two or more people to collaborate on a document.  As I type on my laptop I can see the text showing on my wife’s desktop.

As for Pages and Numbers, I think I’ll wait a year or two or three for when I upgrade my devices and these programs are included.