Saturday, March 29, 2014

Oso, Washington mudslide: sometimes I don’t like to be proven right

I have been wondering if the disastrous mudslide in Oso, Washington was caused by excessive logging.  Could it have been only that there was far more rain than normal?  My concern was affirmed by Timothy Egan, “A Mudslide, Foretold”, http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/opinion/sunday/egan-at-home-when-the-earth-moves.html”, New York Times, 2014-03-29.

Twenty-five years ago, in the same valley, he witnessed a mudslide from over-logging.  The hill above Oso had possibly been logged beyond the legal limit.

I just can’t write anything more at the moment about this predictable catastrophe.  I’ve written before about short-term profit and few are taking up Pete Seeger’s chorus, “When will they ever learn?”.