Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Isn't compatibility wonderful?

Internet software should be able to work for Macintosh or Windows, Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox, or any other popular browser. But it ain't necessarily so.

WordPress's rich-text editor doesn't work with Safari. I did something a few weeks ago that worked fine with Safari but put some nonsense all over pages on Internet Explorer.

Oh yes, now I remember. I had done several web pages on my website with Word in Office 2004 for the Mac (or maybe it was Office 2000). They came out fine with Safari and Internet Explorer but nobody every told me about a problem. I was doing some stuff at Harry Welty's house and he showed me that hypertext was scattered over one of my pages when he viewed it with Internet Explorer for some version of Windows.

Microsoft did some fancy formatting in Word that the Internet Explorer group did not consider. I crawled through the HTML code of several pages deleting the code that caused the problem. It was extraneous as far as I was concerned. After too many of these, I just copied the text to a text editor, saved it, and opened it up as plain text in Word, pasted that text in Netscape Composer, and reformatted it as necessary.

Don't you just love it when you put quote marks in your email and then someone sends your message back to you with the quote marks looking like this (‰) or other "gibberish" characters? The person on the other end is either not using an HTML editor in their email or using a different character coding.

One has to be careful with character coding in web pages. I still have several pages that have cramped letter combinations where I had apostrophe's or quote marks. I don't know when I'm going to correct all that I still have on my site.

Harry Welty, candidate for the 8th Congressional seat in Minnesota is his own webmaster. He would like to put videos on his site but can't make them work with all browsers. If he uses Quicktime videos, they start automatically which can be annoying to repeat visitors. If he uses Windows Media Player videos, the frame might not be visible on some browsers.

He's made several calls to a tech support service in India to resolve this but has not made much progress.

Any webmasters in Duluth that would like to volunteer to help Harry?