Monday, August 23, 2010

More missed wildlife photo ops

This past weekend was really the weekend for wildlife and other natural phenomena.  And, of course, I missed the optimal times to record what I saw or heard.

Saturday we looked out our cabin window about 6:30 in the evening and saw a very large deer.  I quick took a picture but I had the flash on, giving me a great shot of the screen.  I would have tried to intercept the deer by going a different way, but I didn't have my shoes on.

Given its size, we think it might have been a buck whose antlers had not yet started for the year.

After I went to bed, I was wakened a pitiful bellow or two, then a wolf howl, another bellow, more howls and even barking.  I thought of grabbing my camera to record the sounds, but I was sure they would stop before I had the camera even on.  All was quiet for a bit, then we heard on more bellow and that was it.

We think a wolf pack took down a moose calf.  I considered going out in that direction in the morning, but it has been weeks since I had cut that trail and I didn't want to rouse any bugs.

My last chance to get something interesting was on Sunday.  My wife said that she heard fir cones dropping continuously like rain.  When I was by the fir stand, I heard nothing.  Later I was out there and I heard them, at least one ever five or six seconds.  I pulled out my camera to take a panorama.  Of course, as soon I did that, the cones stopped falling!!