Sunday, October 30, 2011

Better computer translations

Since I wrote "Computer Translations", a friend clued me in on an even better on-line translation, translate.google.

Google Translate has about two dozen languages and even will give the spoken version in the target language.  I tried this for "Good morning" and "Thank you" in Arabic.  I thought I was able to mimic the computer speaker quite well, but did I remember the Arabic phrases?

We thought our Russian guest's baggage might be over the weight limit; I put in the English, asked for the Russian translation, and then pushed the speak button.  She didn't even have to come in the room to get the message.  BTW, her baggage was within limits.

Google translate could be a good basis for a self-directed language course.  Instead of following prescribed texts that seem to have little relevance for one's interests, one could just enter the phrases of interest and have them spoken back.