Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A repair cost too little!!

Several weeks ago I "fried" my compact camera.  As usual, I had it on my hip as I drove to Brimson.  But that hip was also sore, and so I put a hot pad on it.

When I got to our cabin, I decided to take a picture from the same place as a week or two before.  I had taken a nice picture through some pines of our sauna with snow on the ground.  Now I wanted to take a picture without snow.

When I turned the camera on the screen showed "Lens error".  I turned it on and off but nothing improved.  When I got back to Duluth I checked the manual.  Turning the camera on and off was the suggestion.  If that didn't work, the camera would require service.

I took it to the camera store where I bought it and left it with $25 for an estimate from the manufacturer.  I might have to wait 4-6 weeks for the estimate.

So, I start dreaming.  If the repairs were too much, then I would buy a new camera.  Let's see, more zoom, brighter view finder, Canon instead of Nikon because I prefer Canon's software, my finger wouldn't cover part of the lens, …  How much would too much be? $200-250?

About three weeks ago the estimate came in - $117 and some cents.  That's a lot less than $200 or the $350 for the kind of camera I would like next.  OK, fix the camera.

Yesterday I received a call that the camera had been returned, and today I picked it up.  Still, I couldn't resist the techno-lust and the salesman showed me a nifty Nikon with a 14x zoom.  Gosh, that would make it easier to get a picture of skittish woodpeckers than my 5x zoom.

Sigh, maybe some other year!