Thursday, February 14, 2013

Notoriety not good for memory

It's a bit embarrassing when people say "Hi, Mel!" and I can't respond with their names.  I know I have memory lapses, and sometimes I should have known a greeter's name.  But with a little bit of hubris, I like to think that others have more reason to remember my name than I have to remember theirs.  My name is in print more often.

That doesn't mean that everybody in Duluth knows who I am.  I do know a couple of movers and shakers and they know my name, but there are probably many more movers and shakers who have no idea who I am.

I did write a column for the Reader Weekly, a regional freebie, for a few years, and once in a while I submit a letter or an opinion piece to the Duluth News Tribune.  I've led a few classes for University for Seniors.  And I do speak up in class a lot.  I think this combination makes it easier for others to remember my name than for me to remember theirs.

When people ask if I'm still writing, I hand them my card with the URL of this blog.  I think I've handed out far more cards than there are readers of this blog.  I guess most people find it easier to read the newspaper than to type a URL in their browser.