Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Synced calendars on Apple devices – the long chore is over

I don't know how many hours I put in over the last few weeks trying to get the same calendar events on my Mac, iPhone, and iPad, but it seemed one set back after another.  The latest was that iTunes gave a message that "the sync server failed to sync" a device.

I scoured the Apple discussion groups and other forums.  I finally got my final clues from one discussion and now have all my calendars with the same events (well almost, the iPhone has some extra, but that's another story).

My post when I got it working is:

I posted the following to "iTunes could not sync calendars to the iPhone "xx" because the sync server failed to sync the iPhone. What does this mean??" at
https://discussions.apple.com/message/15820680#15820680

I haven't seen it mentioned but the secret [in iTunes] is to

Sync only selected calendars
Select "Remove Calendars" from the popup window
(This is ambigous: from where are the calendars removed?  From the device being synced to)
Click apply.

Oops!  My memory is already gone stale.  I think I left no calendars selected, then clicked apply.  Then I selected the calendars that I wanted, then clicked apply.

In any case, I had a blank calendar on my iPad and then I had all the updated events that I wanted on my iPad.

Thanks to all who provided some of the essential clues to resolving this problem.