Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pondering while wandering led to floundering

As I returned from a University for Seniors class this morning at UMD, walking on snow-packed and icy sidewalks, I thought of how parental advice can be problematic in these situations: "Stand up straight" and "Watch where you're walking!"

If you stand up straight, by looking farther ahead, you might not see a slippery spot at your feet.

If you watch where you're walking, you'll get a sore back and might walk into an overhanging tree branch or protruding shrubbery.

As I pondered these profound thoughts, I stepped off a curb at an alley, my boot skidded on some ice, and I went down on one knee and then to one forearm.  I didn't damage anything, but I soaked a knee of my jeans and my gloves.

Nobody saw me that I know of.  I picked myself up and continued the couple hundred feet to my house without any soreness.

I don't remember which advice I was following - "Stand up straight" or "watch where you're walking!"  Whatever, one of them didn't serve me well.