Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Was my April Fool's joke too believable?

If you do a search for "Duluth" and "Billionaire", you will get in the top ten:

Billionaire Duluth Native Buys Northland Reader
Silicon Valley billionaire and Duluth native Nessuno Jarnowski Ingenvik announced today that he is buying the Northland Reader for an undisclosed price. ...
cpinternet.com/~mdmagree/april_fool_2000-04-01.htm - Cached - Similar

This particular web page gets at least one hit every day. I don't know what is so interesting about this page over some of my more profound Reader Weekly articles. Are people looking for get-rich-quick schemes? Are they looking for successful Duluthians? I don't know.

I do know that twice I got a call from somebody who wanted to reach Bob Boone, the publisher of the Reader Weekly. I could only refer him to the phone number listed on the mast head. The second time he asked me about Ingenvik, as if he really existed. Didn't he see the April Fool in the URL for the web page? Didn't he catch that three different people had different memories of him under different names?

I tried to come up with "nobody" in three different languages, but only could do so in Italian. My article has a footnote about my difficulties doing so in Polish. "Ingen" is "nobody" in Swedish, but that doesn't have the right ring for a surname. I tacked on "vik" meaning "bay, inlet, or cove", but now, nine years later, I realized I could have used "Ingensson", "nobody's son".

Oh well, as my first April Fool article for the Reader Weekly, it is doing better than all the others. See the sidebar of the billionaire article for other humor articles I wrote for the Reader Weekly.