Thursday, March 11, 2010

I tried a new potluck recipe

The New York Times printed a recipe for "Baked Tunisian Carrot, Potato and Tuna Frittata", by Martha Rose Shulman, 2010-03-02

I gave it a try this evening as a half recipe. I didn't cut the olive oil in half because I used the same size skillet as in the recipe. I didn't use parsley because we had none. I used cayenne, I think, instead of the harissa. I think it was cayenne; it was red and finely ground in a bag with only the co-op PLU numbers. I used fingerling potatoes unpeeled, only flicking off the sprouts. We had only albacore tuna packed in water, and so I added a tablespoon of olive oil after I drained the water.

Many Americans probably won't be too happy with mine; I sort of waved the salt shaker over the mix.

Since it was only a half recipe, I baked it for a bit less than 30 minutes. It was firm when I poked it with a table knife.

My printed copy of the recipe didn't include the picture. When I revisited the page to get the URL for this blog entry, I saw that it was served in the pan. I had flipped mine over on a plate thinking the browned crust would look nice.

I hope my wife gets home soon from her meeting so we can taste it.