Monday, March 22, 2010

Taxes or Investments

The Star Tribune had a letter today that we should rename taxes as public investments: "Taxes vs. Investments, What's in a word? How we address public needs". I sent in a letter pointing out that Lincoln (railroads), Roosevelt(parks), and Eisenhower(interstate) invested. Oh yes, I mentioned that these were all Republicans.

I also looked at a few of the online comments. They reminded why I don't have comments on this blog. Most of them missed the point, instead writing that it was freeloaders who didn't pay taxes who were benefiting. I wish these people would stay off the publicly financed roads. That was bad enough, but too many also had to call in question the thinking ability of those who disagreed with them.

I really appreciate Yahoo! Finance providing highlights of comments on articles; the editors' selections save a lot of time by providing only the thoughtful comments.