Monday, March 22, 2010

Love is in the air

This past weekend when I was at our cabin I heard a sound of a motor in our driveway. I went to see who was coming but I saw no car. I still heard the motor sound but suddenly it moved overhead from my right to my left. Was it a bird? Strange bird call! Then the sound moved from my left to my right. And then I saw a red squirrel in the trees where the sound was coming from.

These sounds continued off and on for most of the day. Eventually I heard the sounds on the ground as one squirrel chased another. I have heard squirrels make chirps, clicks, and similar, but never this mix of growling and purring. I figure this "motor" sound must be a mating call.

This fall I will hear many gunshots across the road. A neighbor will be shooting the squirrels that get into his roof. Those squirrels will probably be those produced this spring on my side of the road. My neighbor reduced their competition for space and food last year.