Wednesday, May 05, 2010

If you can read this, thank a teacher

This week is "Teacher Appreciation Week".  I didn't know it until I saw the Huffington Post article "Teacher Appreciation Quotes: Famous Sayings For Teachers And About Teaching".

My favorites was

"In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work.  It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years." - Jacques Barzun

If this isn't a rebuke of merit pay and the idea of easily measurable teacher performance, I don't know what is.

However, one of the commenters (LeoWong) to the article wrote that Barzun didn't write this, but about the artistic or intellectual life.

I looked and looked for a more direct attribution but could only find the same quote over and over again with no source citation other than Jacques Barzun.

So, I wrote a WikiQuote entry to ferret out some more information.  We shall see what happens. [It was deleted.  I won't go into the reasons here.]