Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The irregularity of the Irregular Blog

Regular subscribers to the feed of my Irregular Blog and those who read it directly surely have noticed that I may write two or three entries in a day and then none for a few days.  It is not because I've run out of ideas, I have a long list.

It is more because of time and/or energy, especially on weekends.  When I go to our cabin, I spend a lot of time preparing firewood, clearing brush (I wonder if George W. Bush would like to help me now that he has free time), and chipping it to put on trails.  If I go without my wife, I have to work three times as hard with these tasks, meal preparation, fire-building for cabin or sauna, and many other little chores.

When I come into the cabin to sit a spell, I often would rather do a Sudoku puzzle on my iPod or read a novel than do anything that even resembles work.

On top of all else, the patience-trying speed of 24Kbps internet access, makes even checking my bank balance a long chore, the same for uploading a new blog entry.

When I started the Irregular Blog, I recognized that I wouldn't have daily entries and named it accordingly.  I started it partly because I had more ideas than I could put in a bi-weekly Reader Weekly column.  Of course, I couldn't put what I planned for the column in the blog; that would be stealing my own thunder.

Once I stopped writing the Reader Weekly column, then I was free to write what and when I wanted to for the blog.  I also was not constrained by size, I could write two words or two thousand words.

Like a regular column, a blog writer has his or her regular fans, and one writes as much for these fans as oneself.  It is to these fans that I apologize for the irregularity of the Irregular Blog.  Even when there are only about twenty fans of this blog instead of the probably over two hundred there were for my "Party of One" column in the Reader Weekly.

Please keep checking and let others know about this blog.  I do have a long list of ideas, including about a bilingual three-year granddaughter who is proof that it is difficult to rate teachers on their performance.