Monday, May 03, 2010

What I thought I saw wasn't a puddy tat

As I was driving back from our cabin yesterday, I saw a medium size dog crossing the road.  But it didn't look quite like a dog.  It was too heavy for a fox and it was dark brown.  It had a black tip on its tail and a short snout.  I wondered if it was a wolverine.

I pulled over to take a picture, but I was too slow.  Almost as soon as I stopped, it went into the line of trees and into a clear cut area.  I really could see it among all the left-behind debris.  This was along Hwy. 44, probably between Pequaywan Inn and the North Star Fire Dept.

When I got home, I looked up wolverine and chose the Wikipedia site.  The picture at the top right of the page looks very much like what I saw.  Click on it for a bigger picture.

I misled myself yesterday because I scanned through the text without that picture registering in my mind.  Two later pictures show a couple of pelts and a wolverine in rocky terrain.  All three show lighter fur that I didn't see as the wolverine crossed my path.  When I noticed the picture today, it was an ah-ha moment.  It definitely was not a puddy tat!