Sunday, May 02, 2010

Darn slow dial-up

The New York Times had "A Moment in Time" request for photos today.  I read about it at our cabin this morning but I didn't read carefully.  I thought the photo was supposed to be taken at 11:00 EDT this morning, and so I took one at about 10:00 CDT.

I wasn't about to get back online to submit my photo from the cabin; no way am I going to send a photo at 24kbps, and I am very reluctant to get on more than ten minutes a day.  It really tries my patience to wait and wait for pages to download.

Now I'm back in Duluth and looked up "A Moment in Time".  Aarrgghh!!!  It was for 15:00 EDT, not 11:00 EDT.  The Times will forgive a minute or two variation from the "Moment", but not four hours!

Of course, some of you will say I should have read the article more carefully.  I guess you'r right.  But after waiting for five minutes for the front page to load…

Oh! Oh!  I'm saved!  The article said 11:00 but the submission FAQ says 15:00 UTC!  That translates to 10:00 CDT!  My picture was taken at 09:59:59 CDT.

Look for it in The New York Times soon.

And since I retain the copyright, I may put it on Flickr, but not tonight.  This has been enough excitement for the day.