Friday, March 04, 2011

Being charged for receiving unsolicited advertising

I just received my Verizon Wireless bill.  It was 21 cents higher than last month.  I'm kind of used to the crazy gyrations of phone bills, and I usually check why.

This time it was for a text message.  Guess who from?  Verizon Wireless after I upgraded my phone!  Twenty cents isn't a big deal, but consider how many phones they sell a day.

I don't know what percentage of the market Verizon has, but over one billion cell phones are sold every year.  At 20 cents for each phone sold, that's getting consumers to pay over 250 million dollars to be advertised to.

And businesses get upset about being regulated.  Many aren't regulated enough.  Congress did have the power to regulate commerce until commerce bought Congress.