Thursday, August 25, 2011

Beware the pitfalls of automatic spell checking

Automatic spell checking can be a very helpful tool, or it can be a very embarrassing tool.

Twice in the last week I have posted blog entries that had some glaring errors.  The errors were words that I am sure I didn't type.  Whatever I did type was changed by the spell checker in
Apple's TextEdit, my writing program of choice.  My wife pointed out two of these as errors, after I posted them, of course.  One I just found out about, she had left a message on my cell phone on Tuesday.  Another assumption, nobody calls my cell phone.

Two lessons here.

Proofread everything you write, and then proofread it again, and then have somebody else proofread it.  And even then something can escape everybody's notice.  I've read well-written books by famous authors with glowing acknowledgements for all the people who helped including reading drafts, and still the books have had glaring errors:(

Always check your cellphone for messages.  Being buried in pocket or purse can muffle the ring tone, especially if you set it at low.