Monday, August 22, 2011

Rep. Cravaack is in touch with his constituents?

One of the charges that Chip Cravaack made in his campaign to unseat Rep. Jim Oberstar was that Oberstar was out of touch with his constituents.  I wonder if Rep. Cravaack is doing any better.

My wife received a message from MoveOn that Rep. Cravaack would hold a meeting in Duluth tomorrow, August 23, at 11:30.  I checked the Duluth News Tribune online and found no notice.  I went to Cravaack's Congressional web site and found nothing about his being in Duluth.  I called his Duluth office and was told that he would be meeting with the National Federation of Independent Business; he would be the speaker.

Using good old Google, I found that he would be at two meetings in Duluth on August 23.  I found this information on the websites of the hosts, not in the newspaper and not on his website.  There will be a "Congressional Breakfast with Rep. Chip Cravaack" at the Northland Country Club hosted by the Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants.  There will be a "Special Congressional Briefing in Duluth", a National Federation of Independent Businesses Member lunch meeting at Grandma's Saloon and Grill.

So what was this MoveOn message about?  When I couldn't find any notice of Cravaack meeting with constituents in Duluth, I suspected that it was about a demonstration.  I was right.  In the MoveOn message was a link to an August 2011 Recess Action, a demonstration outside Grandma's a half-hour before the start of the luncheon.  One of the complaints on the web page is that Cravaack "refuses to set up a public town hall in Duluth."

I'll let you draw your own conclusions on why Cravaack has not listed any town hall meetings in Duluth and why he has not even posted these business events on his web site.