Sunday, June 24, 2012

Duluth Super-storm, Part II

Although we didn't encounter any serious damage from the super-storm, we did have a hectic time.  If you read my original post, you might have noticed several typos that escaped my eagle-eyed proofreader, like 2010 instead of 2012 and June 22-23 instead of June 19-20.  Oh, my eagle-eyed proofreader was still working on cleaning up our basement before we went to the Joe Gomer statue unveiling.  And we were going to our cabin after the unveiling.  Since the dial-up is so slow there, I wanted to dash off a little bit of our experience.  Haste makes waste of plans.

Back to our basement and other Duluth events.

I had long thought of waterproofing our basement, but I never really thought hard enough about it.  And I should have because this has been a rainy spring.  The worker bee in our house has been mopping up many times a week while the drone types away at his computer.  The drone did ask the hardware store about the paint that stops a nine-feet wall of water.  It's UGL Dry-Lock.

Well, the storm was an impetus to actually go buy some Dry-Lock.  The online Duluth News Tribune had an advisory for people to not even go to work.  But I saw so much traffic in front of our house that I decided it was worth a try.  I called the hardware store and they were indeed open and had the paint I wanted.

I expected to detour around an intersection that was flooded, but I went through it on wet pavement.    I almost wrote "I sailed through" but that was not the case.

The hardware store was busy with people coming and going.  They had a gasoline pump outside the store sending a big stream of water across the parking lot.  The other end was a hose to the basement that had been flooded.  One customer walked out with the last of a large diameter hose.

I carefully read the instructions to the paint, and they recommended using the company's quick setting cement for cracks and holes.  OK, pick that up too, as well as a brush and a scraper.

We still haven't used the paint.  We did use the cement with mixed results on cracks and holes.

I won't bore you with more details, but we spent more time on getting some old hanging peg-boards down from in front of one corner, so we could clean, patch and paint that area.  Our basement will be an ongoing project for many weeks, if not months.

When I came back from the hardware store, I did see that two cross streets were still flooded at dips a couple hundred feet from the intersection.  One of these was the intersection that supposedly was flooded.

In the afternoon we went for a walk in our neighborhood; our prime destination being the bridge over Chester Creek.  The bridge had been closed earlier because of concerns that the footings might have been damaged by the torrent.  Looking down from the bridge, the creek was still a torrent.  The small residential street that parallels the Creek, Chester Park Drive, was closed to through traffic.  As did quite a few other people, we took a stroll up it.

There were a couple washouts where all the sand and gravel under the edge of the road was gone, only about two-three inches of asphalt was left, sometimes hanging up to a foot over the hole.  It wasn't even safe for a pedestrian to stand on.

I took several pictures, but they are not as dramatic as those you've probably already seen.  I'll post a selection to Flickr or YouTube in a few days or weeks.  When I do, I'll post an entry here with links to pictures.

Meanwhile, I have run out of time again to write anything more.

See other entries http://magree.blogspot.com/2012/06/duluth-super-storm-june-21-22-2010.html and http://magree.blogspot.com/2012/06/duluth-super-storm-part-iii-and.html.