Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Duluth Super-storm Part III and pictures

Our cleanup, or rather prep for the next storm, continues.

I've pulled out lots of old wood from the basement that was used for hanging tools etc.  It was several 2x4s hung from the joists with 1x6 tongue and groove nailed to them.  Some of the 2x4s I couldn't pull from the joists because the joists were too close together.  I have no idea how anyone could pound nails in the hanging boards.  I used a saber saw to cut them down.

But before I could do that, I had to go to our cabin for the batteries.  I had taken the cordless drill to the cabin.  I didn't encounter any problems driving there because I took a different route to drop off some of the old boards at the Materials Recovery Center.

I did have to wait for a grader on the dirt road and then the next section was a lot narrower than normal - six inch deep ruts on one side.

At our cabin the only noticeable thing was that puddles had formed in the balsam needles leaving interesting patterns.  Our well was now full of water and I filled up several jugs.  We won't drink or bathe in it, but we can use it for fertilizing many of the later transplanted trees.

Coming back, I had to make a huge detour on the last county highway, Jean Duluth Road.  There had been a complete washout at the Lester River.

Now we have all the hanging boards down and ready to go to the dump.  My wife has patched lots of the holes and cracks on that corner and put the Dry-Lock paint on.  How much more we will do how soon remains to be seen.

I've posted a selection of my pictures on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/28887068@N00/sets/72157630306098922/.  They are not as iconic as many you probably have already seen, but thundering Chester Creek is almost mesmerizing.

See also earlier entries http://magree.blogspot.com/2012/06/duluth-super-storm-june-21-22-2010.html and http://magree.blogspot.com/2012/06/duluth-super-storm-part-ii.html.