Monday, June 04, 2012

"One percent has money, 99 percent have votes" not original with me

I felt a bit of pride in coming up with "The 1% may have the money, but the 99% have the votes".  I never saw it anywhere else, and I had a hard time searching for it.  In fact, I was disappointed that a search for the phrase as I wrote it in http://magree.blogspot.com/2012/05/1-may-have-money-but-99-have-votes.html turned up nothing.  Even when I give the phrase to Google in quotes, it only shows articles with the pieces, not the whole phrase.  Maybe this is why I don't see many hits of my blog for this mantra.

Last week I finally found something very similar.  It is at "Message to 99%: Help Stop the 1% From Using the Super Committee to Rob the American People", a blog on the Huffington Post by Nancy Altman and Eric Kingson, 2011-10-29.  Their exact quote is "The 1 percent may have most of the money, but the 99 percent have the votes."

It doesn't surprise me that my version didn't go viral, but I'm surprised that something written on HuffPost did not circulate more.  In a sad way, that shows that too many of the 99% don't exercise their vote.

Sadly, I bet the turnout in Wisconsin tomorrow won't exceed 60% of the registered voters.